- Dice the onion.
- Cook the lentils until slightly tender.
- In a large pan, sauté the diced onions until golden.
- Add the raisins, stir and then add a pinch of salt and the cinnamon. Keep stirring.
- Add the lentils to the pan.
- Par-boil the rice.
- In a non-stick pot, add 2 tbsp of canola oil, 2 tbsp of brewed saffron and ½ cup of water. Stir well and add a few tbsp of rice.
- Add 1/3 of lentil and raisins mixture, plus 1½ tsp of Advieh.
- Repeat the previous step until you finish layering the rice and the lentil/raisins mix.
- Top off with one last layer of white rice.
- With a spoon, make a few holes in the rice layer, then cover and cook for 10 minutes. Set the temperature high.
- After 10 minutes, add the dates on top of the rice.
- In a cup, mix 2 tbsp of canola oil, 2 tbsp of brewed saffron and ¼ cup of water then pour it over the rice.
- Cover the lid of the pot in a towel, place it on the pot and leave to cook on the lowest setting for at least another hour.
1 kg lamb or beef
1 cup yellow split peas
1 large onion
2 large potatoes
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
4 dried limes
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp rosewater
Salt and pepper
Come visit us and find your favourite Taj products!
Whether you have only recently moved to Canada or have been living here for generations, there is always something in store for you to try and love.